Instagram is the most trending app nowadays, hands down. It has over a million followers and none of us can get enough of this app.
Call it its features, algorithm, or content, Instagram never fails to capture our attention. Like I can’t tell where my time goes by when I’m on this app.
People love to see their followers and how much they are trending for the content they post. They equally hate to see their loyal followers blocking them.
In the first place, is there even a way I can get to know that someone has blocked us? Can I see who are those unfaithful followers who decided to block me?
Well, there’s no official way that you can check who blocked you on Instagram. However, to check this you need to take help from third-party apps or search for their account.
This article will be all about the explanation of these methods plus other things that you should know while using Instagram. So without any further ado, let’s get started!
Why Would Someone Block You On Instagram?
To help you navigate who could’ve blocked you on Instagram, it’s important to know on what basis can someone block you. Take blocking as a reaction to what you’ve done.
- For instance, If you’ve invaded somebody’s privacy by spamming in their inbox, it can lead to the blockage of your account.
- If you’ve commented something fishy in the public comment section, you’ll certainly be blocked immediately after it’s seen.
- If you’ve mentioned them in a creepy post that you shouldn’t have, they’ll take this as a huge red flag and take none less than a second to block you away.
If you’re too pure to do either one of these and you’re still blocked, I guess you should rest assuming it was accidental, and move on.
How to See Who Blocked Me on Instagram?
Since there’s no direct official way given by Instagram through which you can check who has blocked you, there are some indirect ways and great hacks to help you:
- Search for their profile
- Check your follower list
- Mention them and tag them
- Search username on other accounts
- Follow them twice
- Check through the groups
- Consider third-party apps
Search for Their Profile
If you suspect someone has blocked you, the first thing to do is to search for their profile on your account.
There are two possibilities here: either you can view their profile but not view their posts or you can see their profile isn’t showing up. If their public profile is appearing but not their posts, they’ve blocked you.
On the other hand, if their profile isn’t appearing at all it means that either they’ve changed their username, deactivated their account, or blocked you.
Check Your Follower List
Check your followers list and see if someone who used to appear isn’t appearing anymore. If you see this, it either means that they’ve blocked you or unfollowed you.
To confirm that they blocked you, you’ll be unable to see their posts when you search for their public profile.
Mention Them and Tag Them
You see, if someone has blocked you on Instagram, you won’t be able to mention them and tag them on your posts or others.
It can also mean that their account is private and you need their permission to follow them to tag or mention them.
To confirm, try to tag or mention someone under a post or comment. If you’re unable to do so, search for their profile, and if it says ‘their account is private’ you’re not blocked.
If the results page is empty and there’s no account of the username you searched, you’re blocked.
Search Username on Other Accounts
Connecting to our previous point, if the results page appears empty, it might be equally possible that they’ve changed their username on Instagram.
Therefore to confirm if it’s a block, you can ask your friend to search for the expected person on Instagram. If they see what you didn’t (they see that their profile is appearing), you’ve been blocked.
If your friend says that their profile isn’t appearing, they’ve either changed their username, deactivated their account, or blocked your friend too.
Follow Them Twice
Give a follow request to the person you suspect has blocked you on Instagram. If you gain a following right away, relax, you weren’t blocked.
Whereas if your follow request is still not processing and there’s no progress, the signs that you’ve been blocked are clear.
Check Through the Groups
Go to any shared groups you have with the suspected person.
If their account isn’t opening, you’re blocked.
Consider Third-party Apps
Last but not least, if you’re unsatisfied with the other methods, you can consider using third-party apps to see who blocked you on Instagram.
But before you do so, note that using a third-party app is neither recommended nor a reliable way to find out who has blocked you. Most of them are just scams and hackers trying to get hold of you, so beware.
|Method to find who blocked you
|Search for their profile
|Try to tag or mention someone under a post or comment. If you’re unable to do so, search for their profile, and if it says ‘their account is private’ you’re not blocked.
|Check your follower list
|Check your followers list and see if someone who used to appear isn’t appearing anymore.
|Mention them and tag them
|If someone has blocked you on Instagram, you won’t be able to mention them and tag them on your posts or others.
|Consider third-party apps
|Unreliable way to find out who has blocked you on Instagram.
What Happens Once You’re Blocked By Someone?
Here’s what happens when you’re blocked by someone:
- You can’t tag or mention them under posts or comments.
- You can see the previous conversations with them but they can’t start a new one.
- Neither of your sent messages will reach them.
- You can’t view their stories, attend to their lives, etc.
- It doesn’t matter if someone has blocked you even if you didn’t do something mean, you can just move on and not care about it anymore.
- Someone can block you for many reasons, and spamming their inbox with inappropriate messages can be one of them.
- As someone blocks you, you are restricted to some actions such as tagging or mentioning them under a relevant post or a comment
- There’s no official way that you can check who blocked you on Instagram.
- To check who has blocked you on Instagram you need to get help from third-party apps, search for their account, check if you’re able to follow them again, ask someone to search their profile, etc.